Tuesday, March 1, 2011

No One Says It Like Former Redskin Clinton Portis

The Washington Redskins announced yesterday that they have released running back Clinton Portis. While I understand the decision, I am torn by it. Many people believe that C.P.’s injuries over the years have left him broken down and no longer a number one back. In my humble opinion, how good the former Miami Hurricane can be has everything to do with how motivated he is. But that is a subject for another discussion.
I am going to miss Clinton Portis… especially his interviews. This is a man who said whatever he felt and, whether politically correct or not, you have to respect a man who sticks with what he believes.
Whatever the subject, no matter what he says; when Portis speaks, people listen. Why? Because of the unique way he has of getting his point across.
Example: In September of 2008, Portis appeared on a weekly ESPN Radio 980AMappearance on the John Thompson Show. During one show, the running back and co-host Brian Mitchell got into it over some things Mitchell had said during some candid analysis which Portis disagreed with. It did not take long for the words to fly, fast and furious. At the time, I had a hard time understanding some of what was said because Portis was appearing via telephone as opposed to being there in the studio.
Fortunately, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post transcribed part of the interview.
In typical Portis fashion, he became philosophical and laid it out like no one but C.P. can:
“I ain’t found nobody in this city that’s gonna praise me,” he said. “They’re gonna hold me in the fire and everything. I don’t mind going into the fire, I don’t mind burning, because when I come out I’m gonna throw some water on me and I’m gonna cool everybody off. I don’t never pay attention to that.”
In another part of the interview, Portis made this highly published comment:
“This is what I’m gonna tell you about Portis: Portis pocket’s straight, my man, my pocket’s gonna stay straight.”
Clinton Portis… ya gotta love him.
I enjoyed listening to the Pro Bowler so much that I went looking for “Portispeak.” Thank you, Dan Steinberg, for providing much of it!
I found some great quotes, both from his time in Denver and from his time here in Washington. See if you remember any of it as well.
About his groin injury last October:
“I didn’t even know the groin could be up this high. You know, I never imagined that a groin would even be up this high. So I’m learning on it.”
“I didn’t get my hair styled today. I actually stuck my hand in a socket and this is the way it turned out.”
On his and former back-up quarterback up Colt McCoy’s plan to swim with sharks in their leisure time:
“I mean, I’m going to be in a cage! If a shark bites through the cage and they can’t pull me up in time, I deserved it, boy.”
“And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she’s gonna want somebody. I don’t know what kind of woman won’t, if you get to go and look at 53 men’s packages. And you’re just sitting here, saying ‘Oh, none of this is attractive to me.’ I know you’re doing a job, but at the same time, the same way I’m gonna cut my eye if I see somebody worth talking to, I’m sure they do the same thing.”
“You know, he’s still the same man that you grew to love.  I mean, he kept it on wraps.  For any man to be able to keep that on wrap for that long, to keep his business [private].  I’m sure this wasn’t the first time his wife found out he was probably with somebody else, but it was always hidden, it wasn’t in the public eye, it wasn’t pressure for her to leave him, there wasn’t pressure to ruin their home.  I’m sure they got into it before. I doubt that this is the first time she picked up his phone and seen another woman had called him.”
On going to the Pro Bowl after saying he was taking time off until March to relax:
“Damn, I forgot I’ve got to go over there,” he said. “Oh yeah, I’ll go over there….I forgot all about the Pro Bowl. They give you a week to get ready, so I’ll be all right.”
On being benched by then head coach Jim Zorn in December of 2008 after getting so close to 1,500 yards that year:
“You know, London Fletcher played in the game and didn’t practice all week. All of the sudden it gets aggravating to [see me] standing on the sideline and you see me step into something and pick it up and understand what’s going on.”
“I was so mad I actually left the draft. After Carolina picked DeShaun Foster in the second round, I didn’t watch any more… … A lot of people thought I was going to be too wild, but to this day I’ve never gotten into trouble.”
Here are a few other typical Portis quotes:
“I used to do gymnastics. I almost made it to the Olympics, back in ’98, I think.”
“Going through my play book, I’m looking for the plays that can get me in the end zone, so I’m really trying hard. Actually my eyes haven’t been working that good.”
I think I brought more than just my athletic ability. I brought laughs. I brought joy. I brought a sense, an attitude and a swagger that is hard to find.”
People have been mailing stuff in. People . . . give me stuff. I had a guy bring me wigs, glasses, teeth, everything. I forgot the guy’s name, but I appreciate it.”
“I’ll be the Tasmanian Devil. If Shaun Alexander did great in this system, I’m sure I’ll be all right.”
Some of Portis' comments were serious and at those times, he generally wore his heart on his sleeve. About the win against the Minnesota Vikingsafter his great friend and Redskins’ safety Sean Taylor’s death in 2007, he said:
“I think once we got our angel up situated in heaven, he gave us all the strength in the world. Now guys go out and just play and have fun.”
There were times during the awful time surrounding Taylor’s death that Portis’ words helped a city hold it together in the face of a terrible tragedy, even as our hearts ached right along with his. For his strength and courage during that time, I thank him.
Players come and go and many of them find their way into fans’ hearts. In mine, C.P. will always be a Washington Redskin.
There are hundreds more Clinton Portis quotes that will stick in Redskins fans’ minds. Portis’ teammate and good friend Santana Moss knows the score when it comes to what his buddy says.
“You listen to anything Clinton says, you might fall for anything in life. Listen to him, you ain’t going nowhere."


Hail.

No comments:

Post a Comment